Authorship

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Who lives in your neighborhood?

There are few times that I have found myself completely stars struck.


One of those moments came a few years ago when a very important individual came to former place of employment.


The picture is small so I apologize.


But this is Mr. Bob McGrath. Bob from Sesame Street.


He signed an old album of Sing: The Hit Songs of Hit Sesame Street which featured a picture of him and Maria thirty-five years younger, while I stood there stuttering about how I grew up watching him every morning on television. Bob mentioned how he hadn't seen a copy of this album in decades. 


Unlike other "celebrities" I have encountered, Mr. McGrath was quite like meeting a forgotten grandfather. He was super nice, very friendly, no pretension, or level of arrogance and self-importance. 


Currently I am reading, Street Gang: The Complete History of Sesame Street , by Michael Davis. It is amazing how this show of rag-tag creative people revolutionized how people raised children. And it amazes me how things have changed to this day. Today, the show is not what it was. Puppets are replaced by computer animations. And I think the children on the show have been replaced by androids...but I may be wrong.


Today, I don't live with television. Which is perfectly fine with me. But let me ask you this: Who lives your fuckin' neighborhood?



No comments:

Post a Comment