Authorship

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Four Month Update...

I just realized that today it has been four months since I left Portland and officially began my new life as a nursing student in a new town. And while I typically avoid biographical blog posts and their emotive tendencies, I thought I would take just a few moments to reflect upon my few month's here in Bozeman and sum them up with two videos.

You probably are familiar with the song, so I feel no need to give them an introduction. However, you may not be familiar with both versions of the music video. 

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zyEhomXNYyE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XDdlHmzIdn8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So why these two videos? Because they represent Bozeman perfectly. Bozeman is a town that has one leg stuck in the west and its other leg head shoved up its ass.

Bozeman has this strange desire to maintain its completely absent and dead western heritage. This entails doing a few things:
  • Having galleries that have only paintings of horses and bronze sculptures of buffalo.
  • Playing bluegrass everywhere.
  • Driving oversized vehicles
On the contrary, Bozeman also wants to be as urban as possible. This leads to a comical confluence of nouveau riche sporting cowboy hats driving Jaguars looking for a campsite that has electrical outlets for their satellite television set that they brought to watch in their tent. We have people who put on perfume or cologne to go for a trail run. Or, as shown in the two videos above, people who insist that fiddles, Eurotrash dance beats, and auto-tuning are a great combination. 
I used to think that Portland was a land of contradictions until I moved out here. But alas, this is home for for twelve more months. I will survive. But please understand, if I end up moving to the woods living like the Unibomber, you now know the reasons why.

No comments:

Post a Comment