Authorship

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Ending up in Yellowstone

Last weekend, an desperate need to get out of my apartment led me to a drive to Yellowstone. Go fig.




I ended up there late in the afternoon. My intent was to just visit the town of Livingston, perhaps one of my top three favorite towns in Montana, but I just ended up continuing to drive south. 



If anything, going to the park to see the above sign, made the trip worth while. There is something just charming about watching  child traipsing through a geothermal vent and getting surprised as he is blasted and scalded that just never seems to fail a persons sense of humor.


Of course, everything was covered in snow. I am certain that the formations would have looked more vibrant in the spring or summer, but still, it is pretty interesting walking through what is essentially a giant volcano of sorts.


And the whole place smells kind of like Camas or Oregon City before the pulp mill shut down. Made me a little home sick. It also made think of Captain Kirk when he fought that lizard creature in that one episode of Star Trek…You know the one where he realizes he can't out-punch the lizard warrior so he sees what resources are available on the planet, finds sulfur, and ultimately makes his own gun powder. 

Yeah, I kind of felt like Captain Kirk in Yellowstone. And I wanted to make gun powder. 

And that is what I learned about geology during my trip to the National Park. 

That and that this is soon to come true…because it is a documentary…and it had to do with Yellowstone. SO THERE!


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment