Authorship

Monday, January 18, 2010

Cross-eyed Jesus...

Get it? Cross Eyed...it's funny because Jesus was on a cross...

Too soon?



Bad puns and jokes aside, I really do love religious iconography. Especially when it is poorly executed. For example, this rendering of The Pieta. Jesus looks properly dead, but Mary looks like a 82nd Avenue harlot or an eighties fashion victim who went little crazed with the mascara and blush. Makes me wonder if she has a leggings on underneath all the blue robes. But then again, it could be the ever effective Tammy Faye effect of tears and running make-up that all of the holiest figures seem to get these days.



If I had the money I would've purchased this from the Montana Antique Mall. But I decided to go with some other things I will proudly share with you once I return to Portland in a few days.



I just have to say that Mary has one unholy eyebrow. She can be the blessed virgin, et cetera, et cetera, but some evil must have taken over that eyebrow. And that is why god invented tweezers.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment